This locally caught fish is a great source of protein with a mild flavor that makes it easy to use in a variety of dishes.
- 2 cups carrots, julienned
- 1 small red onion, julienned
- 2 cups fennel bulb, julienned
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 flounder fillets
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons crushed fennel seeds
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 8 lemon slices, seeds removed
- 4 large squares of parchment paper
- Fresh fennel leaves, chopped
Preheat oven to 350°.
Sauté carrots, onion, fennel bulb, garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil in a medium pan on high heat for about five minutes. Arrange the vegetables on each parchment paper square, dividing evenly. Place the fish fillet on top of the vegetables and season with salt and pepper to taste. Combine lemon juice, white wine, fennel seeds and salt and pepper to taste. Spoon mixture evenly over the fillets. Place 1 tablespoon butter and two lemon slices on top of each fish. Fold parchment over the fish, then roll and crimp the edges together tightly. Place the packages on a large baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until cooked (cooking times may vary according to fillet size). Transfer packages to individual plates, open and decorate with the freshly chopped fennel. Serve with rice.