- 1/2 cup salt
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup Chef Kenny’s Chicken Spice
- 6 (6-ounce) Mullet fillets
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons datil pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped capers
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 1 teaspoon Chef Kenny’s Raging Cajun Spice
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- Zest from ¼ lemon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
Combine first three ingredients of the fish rub and mix well. Dredge mullet in the mixture. Cure for 3 hours. Rinse fish. Place fish skin side down on resting racks. Season fish with a light dusting of Chicken Spice. Air dry in cooler, unwrapped, overnight. Preheat smoker with ¼ bag charcoal and 3 logs, and heat to 300–350°. Place racks of fish on the smoker. Cook for 15 minutes. Remove and cool.
For Datil Pepper Remoulade, place all ingredients into a bowl and mix together well with a whisk. Reserve. Serve on top of mullet.