- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 1/2 head cabbage, quartered
- 3 Japanese eggplants, sliced 1” thick
- 1 medium daikon radish, peeled and cut into 1” chunks
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 12 okra, trimmed
- 4 banana peppers, cut into 1” chunks
- 3 thick slices fresh ginger
- 3 pounds pork neck bones, cut into 1” thick pieces
- 2 quarts water
- 2 packets tamarind soup mix (Knorr or Mamacita Sinagong Sampalok brand)
- 8 baby bok choy leaves, halved lengthwise
- 1 cup green beans, trimmed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Heat oil in a large stockpot. Add onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper and saute, stirring occasionally, until onions become translucent.
Add cabbage, eggplant, daikon radish, tomatoes, okra, banana peppers and ginger. Saute until vegetables are just tender.
Add pork neck bones, water and tamarind soup mix. Bring soup to a boil then reduce heat to medium low. Cook for 30 minutes, occasionally skimming the surface of the soup to remove impurities.
Add bok choy and green beans in the final minutes of cooking. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper and serve in soup bowls.