Don't Fear the Fowl and Other Advice for Newbies. (Plus a sample menu and recipes!)
- 1 (12-pound) whole turkey
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup (½ stick) butter, melted
Preheat to 375°. Wash the turkey inside and out, pat dry. Remove any large fat deposits. Loosen the skin from the breast. Careful not to tear skin when loosening it.
To make herb rub: Combine herbs and olive oil. Set aside.
To make basting sauce: Whisk together wine, juice and butter and set aside.
Use your hand and spread the herb rub all under and on top of the turkey skin. Place the turkey on a rack in a roasting pan. Add about a quarter-inch of water to the bottom of the pan. Roast in oven three to four hours or until the internal temperature of the bird reaches 180°. Every 30 minutes or so, use a turkey baster or ladle and spoon basting sauce over turkey.