- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup whole milk yogurt or sour cream
- 6 ounces uncooked bacon, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 onions, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 bell peppers (yellow, red or green), diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 sprigs thyme or other aromatic herb
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- kosher salt and black pepper
Toss sweet potatoes with 1 tablespoon olive oil and a pinch of salt and spread them evenly onto a sheet pan. Roast the sweet potatoes at 400° for 30 minutes, turning them occasionally with a spatula, until the insides are soft and they begin to brown.
While the sweet potatoes roast: Stir lime juice, zest and yogurt together and refrigerate until dish is ready to serve.
Place chopped bacon in a large sauté pan and set over medium heat. Cook until the bacon is golden brown and most of the fat has rendered out of the solids. Using a slotted spoon, strain the bacon solids from the pan and set aside on a paper towel. Reserve the bacon fat in the pan. Turn the heat to low and add diced onions, peppers and aromatic herbs to the pan. Stir in a pinch of salt, black pepper and mustard powder. Sauté the peppers and onions, stirring frequently, until they soften and the onions become translucent.
Once the sweet potatoes are roasted: Over low heat, gently stir to add the roasted sweet potatoes into the mixture in the sauté pan. Top with reserved bacon pieces. Portion into serving bowls and top each serving with a dollop of the lime and yogurt mixture. Enjoy while warm. Leftovers may be stored in the refrigerator and reheated.