- 2 (5-pound) roasting chickens
- 2 large yellow onions, unpeeled and quartered
- 3 carrots, unpeeled and halved
- 2 stalks celery with leaves, cut into thirds
- 10 sprigs fresh parsley
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme
- 10 sprigs fresh dill
- 1 head garlic, unpeeled and cut in half crosswise
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 4 quarts chicken broth
Place the chickens, onions, carrots, celery, parsley, thyme, dill, garlic, salt and pepper in a 16- to 20-quart stockpot. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
Remove the chickens and allow to cool slightly. Remove the breast meat from both chickens and set aside. Return the remaining chicken and carcasses to the pot and continue simmering, uncovered, for 3 more hours. Strain the entire contents of the pot through a colander and chill.
Remove the surface fat, then reheat the stock for Matzo Ball Soup, or pack in containers and freeze.