- 1 pound cleaned ramp bulbs ( tops saved for making butter or sauteing)*
- 2 tablespoons pink peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 cup white wine (Chardonnay or other)
- 3 cups white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
Place ramps and pink peppercorns in a quart size mason jar. Toast mustard seeds and fennel seeds in a pan until fragrant. Bring wine, vinegar, sugar, salt and toasted seeds to a boil. Once salt and sugar have dissolved remove from heat and pour over the ramps.
Seal jar and let cool, store in the refrigerator for 24 hours, then enjoy!
* Substitute shallots if ramps are not available. Reduce sugar to 1-1/2 tablespoons, since shallots tend to be a little sweeter than ramps.