Don't Fear the Fowl and Other Advice for Newbies. (Plus a sample menu and recipes!)
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (one stick) chilled unsalted butter, cubed
- 1-1/4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
Preheat oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add the cold, cubed butter and crumble with your fingers until it is a consistency that resembles coarse crumbles. Add the cheddar cheese, rosemary and black pepper. Stir to combine and then add the buttermilk. With a heavy wooden spoon, combine the ingredients, making sure to not overwork the dough. In 1/3 cup scoops, drop the dough in dollops straight onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with more black pepper and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the biscuits are brown on top.