- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 pounds tomatillos
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced in 1/8-inch pieces
- 1 avocado, chopped in ¼-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 habanero pepper, chopped finely
- 1 serrano pepper, chopped finely
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, chopped finely
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Flavored Oil
Make the flavored oil by removing the skin from the garlic clove, but leave it whole. In a small pan heat the oil on medium low heat and add the garlic and bay leaf. Cook until the garlic clove is browned on all sides. Set aside 1 teaspoon for the salsa and save the rest of the oil for other uses.
Husk the tomatillos and remove the stem. Wash thoroughly in warm water to get rid of the stickiness. Chop them into ¼-inch sized dice or use a food processor for a rough chop. Combine all ingredients, plus the cooked garlic clove (smash it first) and let rest about an hour so the flavors blend well.