- 3 cups water
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar*
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
Combine ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring just to a boil, stirring to combine. Remove from heat. Trim, slice or chop vegetables into desired shape and pack into a clean jar with a lid. Add any spices or flavoring elements to the jar and cover with the brine. Allow to cool and refrigerate at least overnight. Pickles should be fine in the refrigerator for up to two months. Store any leftover brine in the refrigerator.
*I like to use rice vinegar as a neutral base, but feel free to experiment with different flavored vinegars in place of the white wine vinegar.
• Cucumbers, sliced, with bay leaf and allspice or dill and peppercorn
• Daikon radish, sliced, with garlic, turmeric, bay leaf and peppercorn
• Hot peppers, whole, or sliced with garlic and a couple sprigs of thyme
• Muscadine grapes, halved, with cinnamon, coriander and peppercorn
• Okra, whole, with dried chili pepper, fresh sliced jalapeno, garlic and mustard seed
• Summer squash, cut into ribbons, with garlic, dried chili pepper and a sprig of rosemary
• Watermelon rind, peeled, with cinnamon, clove and allspice