- 1 pound large, unpeeled shrimp
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup good olive oil (preferably not EVOO)
- 1/2 thinly sliced sweet onion
- 1 (14-ounce) can hearts of palm
- 1 (8-ounce) jar plain artichoke hearts
- 5 or 6 thinly sliced and seeded sweet peppers
- 2 dashes hot sauce (optional)
Bring pot of water to boil with 1 tablespoon salt. Add shrimp. Once water returns to slight simmer, strain shrimp and rinse with cold water. Peel shrimp. For a nice presentation leave the tails on.
Course grind mustard seeds and peppercorns with mortar and pestle or spice grinder. In measuring cup or Mason jar combine spices, garlic, capers, lemon zest, juice, vinegar and oil; whisk or shake well to combine.
Place shrimp, thinly sliced onion, hearts of palm, artichoke hearts and peppers in non-reactive bowl and toss with vinaigrette. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight, occasionally stirring contents to evenly coat.
Serve with baguette or toast points to help sop up all that delicious pickling liquid.