- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 (1-inch) cube fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 chili pepper, diced (choose according to your taste for heat)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon freshly shaved nutmeg
- 2 red onions, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 pounds spinach
- 3 cups soft cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup half and half
- kosher salt
Set a large sauté pan over medium heat and melt the butter or ghee. When the fat has melted, add garlic, ginger, chili and all of the spices. Lower the heat and stir until the ginger and garlic begin to soften. Add the onions and the water and sauté until onions become translucent. Stir in the spinach and cook until the leaves become wilted and melty and the liquid bubbles. Stir in cheese and half and half, season with salt to taste.
Serve hot, over rice or with flatbread or naan.
Leftovers may be stored in the fridge and reheated.